Spouse of a Work Visa holder

As the spouse of a work visa holder you are required in law to apply for a visitor visa in terms of section 10(A) read together with section 11(1)(a) of the Immigration Act of 2002, as amended.

This visa allows you to lawfully reside with your spouse while he/she is on work assignment in South Africa.

Spouse of a Citizen or Permanent Resident

As the spouse of a South African Citizen or Permanent Resident you are entitled to a visitor visa with work authorisation in terms of section 11(6)(b) of the Immigration Act of 2002, as amended.

In the case of unmarried life partners, the couple would need to prove that they have been in a relationship for two years or more, this would include a signed notary.

You may also qualify for Permanent Residency if you have been in a relationship with a South African citizen for five years or more, this applied to both married and unmarried couples.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can my spouse/life partner accompany me when applying for a work permit?

Yes, your spouse and/or family may accompany you on accompanying spouse/children visas.

Do we have to be married for a certain period of years?

No, there is no specific period required, however you must be able to provide your marriage certificate or provide proof that you have been in a permanent relationship for two years or more.

How long are accompanying visas valid for?

These visas are generally valid for a period of 2 – 3 years or the period corresponding with the main applicant’s visa.  Same can be renewed within South Africa.

Is my spouse able to legally work in South Africa on an accompanying spouse visa?

Unfortunately not. Should your spouse/life partner wish to conduct work in South Africa, he/she will be required to apply for an independent work visa in order to do so. This application may be made in South Africa I.e. you spouse may change from a spouse visa to a work visa in South Africa.

What is the difference between an accompanying spouse visa and a spousal visa?

Spousal visas are applicable to spouses/partners whom are married or are in a life-partner relationship to/with a South African Citizen or Permanent Residency holder. Whereas an accompanying spouse visa is applicable to foreigners who are accompanying their foreign spouse or life partner whilst he/she is on assignment in South Africa.

How long are Spousal visas valid for?

These visas are generally issued for a period of 2 – 3 years, however same can be renewed within South Africa.

How long do I have to be married in order to apply for the required visa?

There is no prescribed timeframe required, you only need to provide your marriage certificate. Should you be in a partnership, you will be required to provide proof cohabitation in the form of notarial agreements, affidavits, references from family members etc.

Can I change from my Relative’s visa to a Spousal Visa within South Africa?

Yes, you can apply for a Change of Conditions/Status on your current visa at your nearest Visa Facilitation (VFS) Centre.

Can spouses work on a Spousal Visa / Life Partner visa?

Yes, this specific visa(s) permits a spouse to work, study or own a business in South Africa but needs to be endorsed with such intended activity.

Can my spouse who is on a tourist visa change to an 11.6 within South Africa?

No, this application will be required to be filed within the spouse’s home country/country of residence. Please note however that some Embassies are not familiar with this visa application and as such the spouse will be issued a Relative’s visa and will be required to change status/conditions within South Africa.

Contact Us

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.