The (ex-)Minister of Home Affairs, Malusi Gigaba had granted study visas to the learning institutions which are still currently in the process of registering with the Department of Higher Education (DHET).
A ‘learning institution’ is defined as follows in the regulation –
- “An institution of higher education established in terms of the Higher Education Act, 1997 (Act No. 101 of 1997); or
- A college established in terms of the Further Education and Training Colleges Act, 2006 (Act No. 16 of 2006), but does not include-
- a school offering further education and training programmes under the South African Schools Act, 1996 (Act No. 84 of 1996); or
- a college under the authority of a government department other than the Department of Higher Education and Training; or
- A school contemplated in section 1 of the South African Schools Act, 1996 (Act No. 84 of 1996).”
The waiver states that when applying for a study visa, the applicants must comply with all the requirements, however will be accepted where Learning Institutes are still in the process of registering with the relevant Education Department.
Click here to view the directive.
Click to view the list of –
The list will be updated by the Department regularly.